The Judicial Executive Board (JEB) issued a consultation 3 years ago regarding McKenzie Friends, suggesting a number of possible reforms.
The JEB has now published a summary of the responses received. In the summary, they identify support amongst the responses for the following reforms:
- Replacing the term “McKenzie Friend”;
- Replacing the practice guidance for McKenzie Friends with rules of the Court;
- The introduction of a Code of Conduct for McKenzie Friends;
- The creation of a plain language guide, produced by a non-judicial body; and
- Prohibiting McKenzie Friends from recovering fees.
The full response can be viewed here.